Recipe to make chicken pho (Vietnamese noodle soup with chicken)
Vietnamese noodle soup (pho) is one of typical dishes in Vietnam, especially in Hanoi. Therefore, when it comes to Vietnamese cuisine, it is often regarded by foreign tourists as the first bold impression about Vietnam.
It is easy to cook chicken pho (Vietnamese noodle soup with chicken). With simple steps, you can make Vietnamese chicken noodle soup at home. However, to get delicous bowls of chicken pho, it is important to notice on how to make broth and boil chicken as well as its spices.
Ingredients (for 5 people)
– 2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken legs
– Shallot, star anise, onion, cinnamon
– Herbs: Thai basil, cilantro
– Lemon wedges, spring onion
– Mung bean sprouts: 300 grams
– Fish sauce, salt, seasoning powder
– Rice vermicelli: 3 – 4 grams
How to make
– Step 1: Put chicken legs into the large pot with water. First, turn the heat to high and then when boiling enough, turn it to low to simmer chicken legs. Until we have intensely flavored broth, turn off the gas stove.
– Step 2: Pick simmered chicken legs out of the pot and separate the meat from the bones. Then, the bones go back to the pot to continue simmering.
– Step 3: Add broiled shallot, star anise and cinnamon. While boiling, skim the foam in the surface to get a clear broth. Taste it for salt, seaoning powder and fish sauce, if needed.
– Step 4: Shred the meat and skin and put in a bowl. Set aside.
– Step 5: Rinse spring onion, mung bean sprouts and herbs. Drain well in a mesh sieve.
– Step 6: Submerge rice vermicelli in the warm water.
– Step 7: Split rice vermicelli into bowls. For each serving with shredded chicken meat. Devide mung bean sprouts, chopped spring onion, Thai basil in the bowls evenly. Then, sprinkle fine chopped cilantro into the bowls. Finally, ladle the hot broth over the top of the bowls and add lemon wedges for squeezing over.
– Step 8: Serve immediatelyto enjoy the delicious bowl of chicken pho, accompanied with herbs.
Thing to remember
You need to put some herbs, spring onion and mung bean sprouts on the top of the bowl before you ladle the hot broth over. Therefore, when eating, they will be sweeter and not pungent.
With this tasty dish, you can cook it on Sundays when all family members have free time together. It can be accompanied with crunchy chips and fried sausages (if your children like). In case there are guests coming to your home, you can cook some dishes such as stir fried beef with celery or fried fish.
Hopefully, with the simple steps mentioned above, you can cook chicken pho (Vietnamese noodle soup with chicken) for your family and guests at home to bring more happiness to them. All of you can enjoy the softness of chicken meat and rice vermicelli and crunchy mung bean sprouts.