Recipe for ca kho to (Vietnamese braised catfish)
Ca kho to (Vietnamese braised catfish) is an familiar and attractive dish in the daily meal of Vietnamese families. Today, we will introduce recipe to make a delicious braised catfish for you and your families.
– Snakehead fish: 700 grams
– Bacon: 200 grams
– Spring onion: 50 grams
– Chilli: 5
– 1 green pepper and 1 red peppe
– Fresh ginger, galangal
– Spices: Salt, seasoning powder, fish sauce, sugar, pepper, caramel sauce, MSG (monosodium glutamate)
– Fresh ginger: Wash, peel and cut into matchsticks
– Galangal: Wash, peel and slice it into the round slices in 0,5cm
– Snakehead fish: Rinse well with salted water and rub with minced ginger so that fish meat will be cleaner and whiter as well as get a firmer texture. Afterthat, cut into 2 – 3 cm in width and then, marinate with 1 teaspoon of salt, ½ teaspoon of seasoning powder, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, ginger matchsticks and 1 teaspoon of cooking oil for 20 – 30 mintues.
– Bacon: Wash and slice it lengthwise
– Chilli: Wash and remove the stem
– Spring onion: Wash and finely chop
– Rinse cilantro well
– Red and green peppers: Wash, remove the seeds and thinly cut into the shape of wedge
How to cook ca kho to (Vietnamese braised catfish)
– Bring the mixture of water and caramel sauce in a saucepan to a boil. You can make the caramel sauce by boiling sugar until it turn dark brown and then adding water to have the golden brown color. Next, add ½ teaspoon of MSG, 1 teaspoon of fish sauce, ½ seasoning powder and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
– Add 1 teaspoon of cooking oil into Vietnamese clay pot and then, put slices of galangal into the bottom of the clay pot. Next, place thick slices of bacon and fish fillets on. Ladle boiled caramel sauce over.
– Bring the clay pot to a boil in a gas stove with the high heat. Then, turn it to low to simmer for 40 – 50 minutes. When the water nearly runs, put green and red peppers into the clay pot and continue simmering for 4 – 5 minutes.
– Turn off the gas stove. Sprinkle finely chopped spring onion over to make the dish more attractive.
– Place galangal around the plate to put the fish fillets in the middle. Put some slices of green and red peppers on the fish and ladle the over. Sprinkle a little pepper and put some cilantro on it
– For the braised catfish water, you can mix with a little boiled water and then bring it to a boil and then, sprinkle spring onion. In doing so, you will have a small bowl of dipping sauce for the boiled vegetables.
– This dish is accompanied with hot steamed rice and a bowl of sweet and sour soup.
Requirement for the dish
– The color is golden brown
– The braised catfish water is gelatinous and greasy
– The taste is tad salty, little spicy, flavorful
This dish is incredibly delicious for you and your family to enjoy. Wish you success with ca kho to (Vietnamese braised catfish)