How to make Hanoi’s vermicelli with grilled pork meatballs
Bun Cha Or Vermicelli with Grilled pork meatballs is a traditional dish of Hanoi. Tourists visiting this small city cannot deny to enjoy its tasty flavor. Eating vermicelli with grilled pork meatballs at any seasons is all delicious. In summer, it will give you a cool sense of vermicelli. In winter, hot dipping sauce helps you eat easier.
There are many street stalls selling this dish in every valley and sidewalk in Hanoi. Each stall has its own secret to attract and keep its customers.
Grilled pork to eat with rice vermicelli has two different kinds which are sliced pork and pork patties. Pork patties are made from minced pork that is marinated with spices to shape into small patties. Then, press them down slight to form round flat balls and place into the grill-rack. With sliced pork, as its name, slice it into slices (you can buy bacon or pork shoulder to make) and then place into the grill-rack on the charcoal. You can eat the normal ration or you can order the seller to get more sliced pork or pork patties.
Here are the simple guidelines for you to make this famous dish by yourself right at your home to treat your family or friends on the weekends.
Bun Cha Hanoi recipe
– Pork shoulder: 500 gram
– Bacon: 500 gram
– Carrot, kohlrabi or papaya
– Different herbs, ideally cilantro, mint, perilla, Vietnamese balm and basil
– Lemon, garlic clove, shalllot, lemongrass
– Fish sauce, sugar, salt, rice vinegar, caramel sauce
– Wash pork shoulder and bacon and then drain well in a sieve or colander
– Mince pork shoulder and then put into the bowl
– Slice bacon into slices (you can remove pork skin to avoid being chewy)
– Wash herbs and set aside with salted water for 15 mintues and squeeze out the water
– Chop shallot, garlic and lemongrass separately
– Peel carrot, papaya and slice them
Step 1. Grill pork
– Sequently marinate miced pork shoulder and sliced bacon with chopped shallot, lemongrass, garlic, seasoning powder, fish sauce and caramel sauce in two different bowls and then put into the fridge for 2 – 3 hours.
– Afterthat, you can start to grill. It is the best to grill by charcoal because the pork meat is far delicious.
– Using oiled hands to shape the miced pork shoulder into the round balls and then slightly press them down. Next, put them into the grill-rack to grill on the charcoal until both sides turn golden brown.
– Put the sliced bacon into the grill-rack to grill on the charcoal until both sides turn golden brown. Noticeably, do not put two kinds of patties in one grill-rack
– Flip the grill-rack continuously so that the patties are well-done
– Pick the patties out of the grill-rack to put on two different plates.
Step 2. How do you make fish sauce for this dish?
– Mix sliced carrot and papaya with a little salt, then rinse and drain well
– Marinate carrot and papaya with rice vinegar, suagr and chopped garlic
– Take a bowl with water to put sugar, lemon juice, seasoning powder inside and stir well. Next, pour fish sauce into the bowl to make sweet and sour sauce. Add chopped garlic, chilli and mixture of carrot and papaya into the bowl.
Put all plates of grilled pork meatballs, herbs, dipping sauce and rice vermiceli on the tray. Put the patties into small medium-sized bowls and then pour the dipping sauce on it. When eating, dip rice vermicelli into the bowl and eat with grilled pork meatballs and fresh herbs.
Video Bún chả – Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Vermicelli Recipe
Wish you success with this dish!